Additional Git Resources¶
Tutorials and summaries¶
- github help has an excellent series of how-to guides.
- learn.github has an excellent series of tutorials
- The pro git book is a good in-depth book on git.
- A git cheat sheet is a page giving summaries of common commands.
- The git user manual
- The git tutorial
- The git community book
- git ready - a nice series of tutorials
- git casts - video snippets giving git how-tos.
- git magic - extended introduction with intermediate detail
- The git parable is an easy read explaining the concepts behind git.
- Our own git foundation expands on the git parable.
- Fernando Perez’ git page - Fernando’s git page - many links and tips
- A good but technical page on git concepts
- git svn crash course: git for those of us used to subversion
Advanced git workflow¶
There are many ways of working with git; here are some posts on the rules of thumb that other projects have come up with:
- Linus Torvalds on git management
- Linus Torvalds on linux git workflow . Summary; use the git tools to make the history of your edits as clean as possible; merge from upstream edits as little as possible in branches where you are doing active development.
Manual pages online¶
You can get these on your own machine with (e.g)
git help push or
git push --help, but, for convenience, here are the
online manual pages for some common commands: